Classification of fiber patch cords
Optical fiber jumpers (also known as optical fiber connectors) refer to the connector plugs installed on both ends of the optical cable to realize the active connection of the optical path; the plugs on one end are called pigtails. Fiber jumpers can also be said to be similar to coaxial cables, but without a mesh shield.
At the center is the glass core where light travels. In a multimode fiber, the diameter of the core is 50 μm to 65 μm, which is roughly the thickness of a human hair. The diameter of the single-mode fiber core is 8 μm~10 μm. The core is surrounded by a glass envelope with a lower refractive index than the core to keep the fiber within the core. On the outside is a thin plastic jacket that protects the envelope.
Classification of fiber optic patch cords, fiber optic patch cords can be divided into common silicon-based optical fiber single-mode and multi-mode patch cords according to different transmission media, and other fiber optic patch cords such as plastic as the transmission medium;
Optical fiber jumpers can be divided into: FC jumpers, SC jumpers, ST jumpers, LC jumpers, MTRJ jumpers, MPO jumpers, MU jumpers, SMA jumpers, FDDI jumpers, E2000 jumpers Line, DIN4 jumper, D4 jumper and so on. The more common fiber jumpers can also be divided into FC-FC, FC-SC, FC-LC, FC-ST, SC-SC, SC-ST, etc.
Single-mode fiber (Single-mode Fiber): Generally, the fiber jumper is shown in yellow, and the connector and protective sleeve are in blue; the transmission distance is longer. Multi-mode fiber (Multi-mode Fiber): Generally, the fiber patch cord is indicated in orange, and some are indicated in gray, and the connector and protective sleeve are in beige or black; the transmission distance is short.
Classification of fiber patch cords
Precautions for the use of fiber jumpers: The transceiver wavelengths of the optical modules at both ends of the fiber jumper must be the same, that is to say, the two ends of the fiber must be optical modules with the same wavelength. The simple way to distinguish them is that the colors of the optical modules should be the same.
In general, short-wave optical modules use multimode fibers (orange fibers), and long-wave optical modules use single-mode fibers (yellow fibers) to ensure the accuracy of data transmission.
Do not bend and loop the optical fiber excessively during use, which will increase the attenuation of light during transmission. After using the optical fiber jumper, it is necessary to protect the optical fiber connector with a protective sleeve. Dust and oil will damage the coupling of the optical fiber. If the optical fiber connector is dirty, you can use a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to clean it, otherwise the communication quality will be affected.
1. Before use, the ceramic ferrule and the end face of the fiber jumper must be wiped clean with alcohol and absorbent cotton.
2. The minimum bending radius of the optical fiber is less than 30mm.
3. Protect the ferrule and the end face of the ferrule to prevent bumps and pollution, and put on a dust cap in time after disassembly.
4. Do not look directly at the fiber end face when the laser signal is transmitted.
5. The damaged fiber jumper should be replaced in time in the event of man-made and other force majeure damage.
6. Read the manual carefully before installation, and carry out installation and debugging under the guidance of the engineer of the manufacturer or dealer.
7. If the optical fiber network or system is abnormal, the troubleshooting method can be used to test one by one. When testing or troubleshooting the jumper, you can do the on-off test first. Usually, you can use a visible laser pointer to judge the entire fiber link. Or further use a precision optical fiber insertion loss and return loss instrument to test its various indicators. If the indicators are within the qualified range, the jumper indicates normal, otherwise it is unqualified.
The above is the classification of optical fiber jumpers and the precautions for the use of optical fiber jumpers described by ZR Cable for everyone. Transmission equipment, defense readiness, etc.
Optical fiber jumpers are also suitable for cable TV networks, telecommunication networks, computer optical fiber networks and optical test equipment. If you have a demand for optical fiber related products, you can check it on the ZR Cable official website.