How to manage the optical fiber jumper of the integrated wiring system
For the integrated wiring, the telecommunication room and the equipment room are the gathering places of the three types of services of data, voice and image, and its importance is self-evident. But they have made great efforts in their overall design, equipment shaping, hardware configuration, construction and maintenance and other aspects. However, the construction party often ignores the maintenance and installation guarantees of the largest number of equipment in the telecommunication room and equipment room - cables and optical fiber jumpers, and ignoring this problem will bring a lot of trouble to our computer room management. So, how to manage the fiber jumpers of the integrated wiring system?
Integrated wiring system
1. What are the types of fiber jumpers?
(1) Classification by fiber type
1. Single-mode fiber jumper: generally yellow, the connector and protective sleeve are blue, and the transmission distance is long.
2. Multimode fiber jumper: generally orange or aqua blue, the connector and protective sleeve are beige or black, and the transmission distance is short.
(2) Classification by connector type
Optical fiber jumpers can be divided into FC, ST, SC, LC, MU, E2000, MTRJ, SMA, etc. according to the connector classification. The following is a detailed description of the commonly used optical fiber jumpers:
1. FC fiber patch cord
FC (Ferrule Connector) fiber patch cords are one of the most common connection devices in single-mode networks. Its external reinforcement method is a metal sleeve, and the fastening method is a turnbuckle. Common on the ODF side (the most common on the patch panel). FC connectors are generally used in telecommunications networks. The advantages are that they are reliable and dust-proof. The disadvantage is that the installation time is slightly longer.
2. ST fiber patch cord
ST (Stab & Twist) fiber patch cord is the most common connection device in multimode network, and it is also the most common connector type in Base10 fiber connection. Commonly used in fiber optic distribution frames. The outer shell is round, the fastening method is turnbuckle, and the core is exposed, which needs to be inserted first, and then rotated half a circle to fix the bayonet.
3. SC fiber patch cord
SC (Square Connector) fiber optic patch cord is a TIA-568-A standardized connector. It was not widely used in the initial stage due to its high price. Later, it was gradually used in connection with GBIC optical modules due to its excellent performance. Commonly found on routers and switches, its casing is rectangular, and the fastening method is a plug-and-pull type. Unlike ST/FC, it does not need to be rotated.
4. LC fiber patch cord
LC (Lucent connector) fiber jumpers are usually connected to SFP optical modules. The connector is similar to the SC connector, but smaller than the SC connector. The size of the pin and the sleeve is 1.25mm, which is half of the ordinary SC and FC. The fastening method is a socket latch. Its advantages and performance are good, and to a certain extent, it can increase the density of optical fiber connectors in the optical fiber distribution frame, and it is a very good single-mode optical fiber jumper.
(3) Classification by application of jumpers
Fiber jumpers are generally divided into MTP/MPO fiber jumpers, conventional fiber jumpers, armored fiber jumpers, etc. according to the application of the jumpers.
1. MTP/MPO fiber optic patch cords: Commonly used in fiber optic line environments that require high-density integration in the wiring process, its advantages: simple push-pull locking structure, easy installation and removal, saving time and cost, and can maximize the service life .
2. Armored fiber jumpers: common in computer rooms, suitable for harsh environments. Its advantages: no need to use protective casing, it can prevent moisture and fire, it has antistatic and acid and alkali resistance, can save space and reduce construction costs.
3. Conventional fiber patch cords: conventional fiber patch cords include OS2 9/125 single-mode simplex, OM4 40/100Gb 50/125 multimode, OM3 10Gb 50/125 multimode, OM2 50/125 multimode, OM1 62.5/125 Multi-mode, OS2 9/125 single-mode simplex, OM5 50/125 multi-mode these types.
Among them, OM5 fiber optic patch cord is the most popular product at present. It is often used for higher broadband applications. The outer sheath is aqua-green, which has strong scalability, compatibility and interoperability, and can effectively reduce costs.
2. How to manage the fiber jumpers of the integrated wiring system
Generally speaking, reasonable jumper management can be divided into 5 stages: planning, preparation, wiring, testing, and verification.
1. Jumper operation specification
Foresight is established, not foreshadowing is abandoned, and everything needs to be planned in advance. For jumper management, the current and future demand planning should be done.
(1.1.1) Change Requests. Various administrative activities, moves, additions or changes (MACs) begin with a change request. The change request must contain all necessary information to initiate the planning process.
(1.1.2) Search records. After receiving the request form, the records should be searched to determine the circuit path used.
(1.1.3) Correct routing. Before determining the correct patch cord length, first find the best route between the ports to be connected. Typically the shortest route through horizontal and vertical cable conduits and must not obstruct or obstruct other jumpers or connectors in the patch panel. When choosing jumper wires, excessive slack should be avoided to ensure a clean appearance. If the jumper is too tight, it will increase the pulling force on the connector, and if the jumper is too loose, it will bring trouble to the management of the jumper and increase the difficulty of the management of the patch panel.
After making the jumper management plan, you should follow the plan made in advance, and then you should do the jumper management preparations. Prepare as much as possible and study management records before implementing management operations. Determine where ports need to be connected and reconnected and the label information for the associated ports.
(1.2.1) Check the type of jumper that needs to be jumped first, and then check the quality of the jumper. In order to ensure that the quality of the jumper is correct, it is necessary to check whether the jumper is damaged. In order to check whether it is damaged, of course, it can be checked from the appearance of the jumper. If there are conditions, it can be checked with a professional instrument.
(1.2.2) Next, check the condition of the connection parts to avoid physical damage to the connection parts.
(1.2.3) Finally, it is necessary to clean the jumper connectors and connection parts.
There are contact and non-contact methods for cleaning fiber optic connectors:
Contact cleaning method:
(1) Wiping paper and anhydrous alcohol, using virgin wood pulp with special processing technology, ultra-low dust, pure texture, efficient water absorption, fine paper, will not scratch the surface of the quilt, use low-dust wiping paper with no Wipe the fiber optic connector with water alcohol;
(2) Non-woven fabric, no lint, strong, without any chemical impurities, silky soft, will not cause allergic reactions, and not easy to fluff and shed, it is produced or tested as optical fiber connectors or pins It is an ideal choice for cleaning the optical fiber connector during use.
(3) Cleaning cotton swabs, specially designed for cleaning the inside of the ceramic sleeve, or for cleaning the end face of the ferrule that is not easy to reach in the flange (or adapter);
(4) Professional cleaners, special cleaners for fiber optic connectors use special rolls of wiping tapes, which are housed in a rollable casing, without alcohol, and each cleaning is very effective and produces a new surface, which is convenient and practical.
(1) Ultrasonic cleaning method, which turns the cleaning liquid into an ultrasonic "liquid column" and sends it to the end face of the connector, and recovers and sucks the waste liquid in the same small space;
(2) High-pressure air blowing method, its principle is to apply cleaning liquid on the end face of the connector, and then blow it with high-pressure air at the end face of the connector;
(1.2.4) Check the cleanliness of optical fiber connectors
After cleaning the fiber optic connector, the termination face must be inspected. The general practice is to use a magnifying glass of 100, 200 or 400 times for inspection. The following figure shows the state of the fiber end connector in a clean state and after being contaminated.
Jumper management personnel, no matter what method is used, it is still difficult to clean some seriously polluted connectors, and it is necessary to use cotton swabs and alcohol and other cleaning solutions to deal with them.
After this series of preparatory work, it means that the wiring work of jumper management can be started.
The installation of the patch panel should be completed according to the operating procedures. Kinks, burrs, pinching, and poor contact during patch cord construction can significantly degrade patch cord performance. To avoid such problems, the following factors should be important to consider:
(1) Bending radius
The minimum allowable bend radius of the jumper is subject to the jumper manufacturer's operating specifications.
The standard specifies that the minimum bend radius for unshielded twisted pair (UTP) should be four times the cable diameter, and for shielded twisted pair eight times the cable diameter. The minimum bending radius of a 2-core or 4-core horizontal optical cable is greater than 25mm. If the bending radius is smaller than this standard, the relative position of the wires may change, resulting in reduced transmission performance.
(2) Jumper tension and stress
Do not use excessive force during wiring, as this may increase the stress on the jumpers and connectors, resulting in reduced performance.
Jumpers do not necessarily need to be bundled. If bundled, the manufacturer's bundling principles should be followed. Do not bundle them too tightly, otherwise the twisted pair will be deformed. Do not over-tighten the clips, it is advisable that each jumper can rotate freely. Use specialized products, and consider choosing products that can be used repeatedly without tools, such as Velcro.
(1) Although the jumper wiring is completed, it may not be considered whether the optical fiber link or copper cable link fully conforms to the operating specifications or the international and national standards for integrated wiring, then the optical fiber or copper cable test should be carried out. After meeting the test standard, it can be judged whether the test standard is passed or not.
(1) It's worth taking the time to do a final visual inspection of the connections. Make sure the jumper slack is not kinked or pinched by the cabinet door.
(2) The last step is to update the record according to the current configuration and close the work order related to the completed change request.
Now the jumper is one of the important components in the integrated wiring system, especially the good management of the jumper in the data center project is particularly prominent. It is believed that as long as the construction management personnel manage and operate the jumper correctly and reasonably, the entire integrated wiring will become a truly advanced, scientific, practical and reliable system.
How to manage the optical fiber jumper of the integrated wiring system
Regarding the knowledge of optical fiber jumpers, today Xiaobian will first explain it to you here. With the large-scale application of 10G/40G/100G networks in data centers, the installation and management of on-site patch cords becomes more and more important. The quality of patch cord management sometimes affects the overall channel attenuation. Good management ensures that Fibre Channel data transmission is at the highest level. In order to ensure the best state, the process operations such as planning, preparation, wiring, testing, and verification are of great significance to ensure the quality of the system.