The difference between fiber optic modules and fiber optic transceivers
With the development of science and technology and the acceleration of urban informatization, the requirements for communication technology are getting higher and higher. Optical fiber has become more and more popular in communication due to its advantages of fast transmission speed, long distance, safety and stability, anti-interference, and convenient expansion. The first choice when laying. We often see long-distance data transmission requirements in building intelligent projects, basically using optical fiber transmission.
The link between them requires optical modules and optical transceivers to achieve. Many users have some doubts about the use of optical modules and optical transceivers. How to connect the two? What are the precautions?
Let's first understand the difference between the two:
1. An optical module is a functional module, or an accessory. It is a passive device that cannot be used alone. It can only be used in switches and devices with optical module slots. Optical transceivers are functional devices and are separate active devices. The device, plus the power supply, can be used alone;
2. The optical module itself can simplify the network and reduce failure points, while the use of optical fiber transceivers will increase a lot of equipment, greatly increasing the failure rate and occupying too much cabinet storage space, which is not beautiful;
3. The optical module supports hot swap, and the configuration is relatively flexible; the optical fiber transceiver is relatively fixed, and it will be more troublesome to replace and upgrade than the optical module;
4. Optical modules are more expensive than fiber optic transceivers, but they are relatively stable and not easy to be damaged; while fiber optic transceivers are economical and practical, but consider the power adapter, fiber status, network cable status and other factors, and the transmission loss accounts for about 30%. ;
5. Optical modules are mainly used for optical interfaces of optical network communication equipment such as aggregation switches, core routers, DSLAM, OLT and other equipment, such as: computer video, data communication, wireless voice communication and other optical fiber network backbone networks; optical transceiver applications In the actual network environment that cannot be covered by Ethernet cables and must use optical fibers to extend the transmission distance, it is usually located in the access layer applications of broadband metropolitan area networks, such as: high-definition video image transmission for monitoring and security engineering and the last mile of optical fiber lines connection to the metropolitan area network and further outer networks;
In addition, several points should be paid attention to when connecting the fiber optic module and the fiber optic transceiver: the wavelength and transmission distance must be the same, for example, the wavelength is 1310nm or 850nm at the same time, and the transmission distance is 10km; the fiber jumper or pigtail must be connected with the same interface, Generally, the optical fiber transceiver adopts the SC port, and the optical module adopts the LC port. This point will prompt the choice of interface type when purchasing. At the same time, the speed of the optical fiber transceiver and the optical module must be the same. For example, the gigabit transceiver corresponds to the 1.25G optical module, 100M to 100M, and 10M to 100M; the optical fiber type of the optical module must be the same, single fiber to single fiber, Dual fiber to dual fiber.